Friday, August 28, 2009

Some Pictures

This is Imari Lace, one of our herd of Scotch Highland cattle that we have behind our house. Imari is probably the sweetest of them all, since she's the one that most often will come up to the fence when you yell, "Apples!", granted the rest of the herd is close enough. While the other cows are somewhat aloof, Imari seems to be the most personable. And the nice thing is that she'll never end up as hamburger, because she's owned by Ashley, not her father.

I felt that our 12 foot tall sunflowers deserved more than the brief notice I gave them last time, so here are some more pictures I took of them.


If you look closely on the one below, you can see a small, ruby-throated humming bird perched on our badminton net. I tried to get a picture of one sipping from a flower, but I wasn't quick enough with the camera.
I have a couple like these
, of the bumble bees on the flower. These are the ones I took when I missed the humming bird. The bees are everywhere this year. I was over in the field, where all the wildflowers are (purple knotweed, purple aster, Queen Anne's Lace, goldenrod) and there was a honey bee for almost every flower I passed.
And here you can see our giant sunflowers in all their glory. Considering that I barely reach over the badminton net, you can see how tall these beauties are. If only they were perennials!
August is going by too fast. As always, there's a multitude of things I would like to do and

didn't get around to.
There's also some things that I didn't want to do, and also didn't get around to. Such as
summer reading. I have more than half of my last book left, and five days left of summer.
Better get reading.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I bet if you leave a few of those sunflowers up all winter you will have a new batch next year. And I've never seen a hummingbird sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an uncommon occurrence.

    Too bad sunflowers aren't perennials.

    ReplyDelete