Sunday, April 15, 2012

In Which Hipster Librarian and I Have a Conversation

At the library, I mostly hang out in a back corner and a).knit, b).read, or c).stare blandly into space. Due to my geographic isolation, I was surprised when I was actually approached by a young librarian with thick black-rimmed glasses, and proceeded to have a conversation. This wouldn't have been so strange in and of itself if not for the fact that he actually knew who Nietzsche was.

Hipster Librarian: Hey, is that a Nietzsche t-shirt?
Me: Um. Yes. It is.

HL: I didn't know they sold Nietzsche t-shirts.
Me: Yeah, I got it online. The internet's a crazy place.
HL: Have you read anything by Nietzsche?
Me: Erm, no, but I know some select quotes and the gist of his philosophy. I just liked the shirt because it's also a Nirvana reference.
HL: You should read some of his works.
Me: I've been meaning to...

Then he walked away, and I was left feeling slightly judged. I'm fully aware that Nietzsche is actually not one of the nicer philosophers - his brainchild was nihilism for hell's sake - but, you've got to admit, the guy is amusing. He was mostly crazy, was a fairly good writer, and had an excellent mustache. What's not to love? (Besides the fact that he was racist, sexist, and nihilistic. Whatever). Still, though, I probably should read some of his works. Otherwise I'll seem like that kid that wears a Nietzsche t-shirt just because of the Nirvana reference instead of his philosophies. And that's, like, so mainstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment