Wednesday, April 22, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

I am so happy to be back. Nothing beats coming back from a vacation and getting back into routine and work and stuff.
Yes, I know, this is an atypical reaction. But frankly, vacations are great and all, but home is where I'm happy. It's where I know how to act. And I don't just mean my house, I mean school, too. I got to see all my friends today, as well as my non-friends and people I don't know. I also saw my teachers, and got a bunch of lovely homework. And I saw my sister and got into a large fight with her (at home). And I saw my first track meet, which drove any last possible urges to join track straight out of my head. And I also saw my room again, which is the best place in the world, truly it is. My room is the epicenter of the universe (well, at least my universe, which is admittedly rather small. But at least they know me here.)
Three cheers for home, everybody! 
I wrote a short bit of a story a few days ago. Actually, I couldn't put it down and was scribbling on it on a bench in the park and during dinner (this was in Sanibel). It's not that great, but I just had to get the idea out. I might post it, I might not...it's kind of long, and not my best work ever. In fact, it's rather disjointed, as I started slightly before the climax of the story again. I don't know why I always start there rather than at the beginning. It's difficult to write a story backwards.
Oh, and did you hear? Tamora Pierce's latest book came out: Beka Cooper: Bloodhound. I can't wait to read it, as this is my favorite series yet. I love Tamora Pierce books, but at least I'm not quite as obsessed as Ashley. She has almost all of them except three...and there are at least twenty. *grins*. Though, honestly, I wouldn't mind having all of them either (with the exception of the Circle of Magic Series. The characters really bug me in that one, and I'm trying to put my finger down on my problem with it. I haven't had much success yet, but for some reason the people just bother me.) I have been planning to get Beka Cooper: Terrier for a while now, but I may have to just buy it for Ashley and save up for another copy for me. Ashley's birthday's in May, and that's what I'm intending to get her (which is obviously much better than last year's present, or at least longer lasting. Last year I got her Little Debbie Nutty Bars--they were gone in a week, let me tell you.) 
I'm also following another incredible series...this one is the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. (In case you haven't guessed, I'm a fantasy freak). These books are written really well. They have realistic characters and exciting plot lines, and the world that is created in them is really well crafted. The fourth book recently came out, and Emme got it for me for Easter (I guess I should be nicer to her, huh?) It was amazing! I was afraid to start reading it because I was worried that the author might screw up the plot or the mood or the characters, like another author did to a really good series. That worry didn't last long, of course. I'm glad to say that the book did not disappoint, though the betrayal at the end was hard. And it was one of my favorite characters, too! *sob*.
One last thing: Shannon Hale conducted an interview of Brandon Mull, and frankly, it's pretty funny. Here's the link
Well, fare well, wherever you fare, and may the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks (This is the polite thing to say among eagles - I'm just as wise as Gandalf. The Hobbit - an awesome book. If you haven't read it, you must). 
Till your eyries receive you at the journey's end! 

1 comment:

  1. You should definite post some of your stories! We want to see them.

    ReplyDelete