Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Weekend


Yes, I know that it is a tad late to be writing about my weekend on Wednesday. Believe me, I know.
So, Nine o'clock Saturday morning, I went into town for the Community Fair, at which Interact (my junior Rotary club) had a booth. We were to be selling popcorn, nachos, generic sodas, and squishy toys. We also had to march in the parade that went through town, and excitingly (sort of...) we got to march in front. Of course, there was no one to actually watch the parade, because the majority of our town was in it, but that's really a minor, minor thing. I was walking between my friend and the president of the club, who really bugs me. He's kind of funny, kind of jerkish. I'm pretty sure that alll elections are popularity contests.
Anywho, I'm pretty sure that he's come to the conclusion that I have mental issues because I kept humming and staring off into space during the parade. I am a little spacey sometimes, so maybe he's not completely inaccurate.
Eleven people showed up to work our booth (though one went home because she was sick), including yours truly. I think we got a pretty good profit, since our business was relatively steady. Though I don't think we sold even one of the squishy toys.
For the second half of the day, after it was done raining, I monitored the kids games that the Rotary booth next door had. Little kids are kind of hard to communicate with, I've noticed.
The entire time I was there, there was a booth that was selling cookies and fudge, and it was really hard not to think about. I eventually broke down and bought fudge during a slow part.
The fair ended at four. I got to go home for precisely one hour before heading off to babysit Emme, Harriet, and Elisa. .
So it was a nice evening. The girls were in the hay barn, and there was this huge pile of grain they were playing in, which was admittedly pretty cool. It was like a giant, two foot deep sandbox full of grain. Then they wanted to show me their chickens, and I'm proud to say that I've entirely overcome my alektorophobia. Chickens are cute and very soft. (Well, it was only roosters that I was afraid of, for good reason). Also, if you throw them up in the air, they'll fly! For about three seconds. But it's still very cool, and funny.
No, the chickens don't mind.
After dinner, we made popcorn from an air popper. We didn't have any butter, so I used vegetable oil. It wasn't that bad, actually. Then they watched The Parent Trap, which is a weird, unrealistic, but kind of sweet, movie.
Well, that's Disney.
Sunday night I was talking to Gracie (that'd be my third blog-follower) on IM, and we came up with a brilliant idea to make anti-Twilight pins. Twilight is the scourge of teen literature. It's a fad, which is always annoying, but it's doubly so when the fad is about a poorly written book about an average girl who is obsessed with her creepy, non-human stalker. So Gracie and I made pins that read TS: RGVB which stands for Twilight Sucks: Read Good Vampire Books. The good vampire books that are referred to are the Den of Shadows Quartet, which is an amazingly written, deep, and meaningful series about a variety of complex and layered characters.
I exaggerate not at all.
By the way, we wore these pins Monday. I was kind of sad when no one asked what they meant, and kind of relieved not to get into a fight with a die-hard Twilight fan -- though we did have a brush with Sarah, didn't we, Gracie?

No comments:

Post a Comment