Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Evolution of a Tailcoat

I believe I mentioned my quest to create a tailcoat for Halloween. Halloween has been passed for some time now, which I forgot to mention. At any rate, I was fully successful in my creation of a tailcoat! In all honesty, I think it might be the pinnacle of my seamstress career up 'til this point. Everything turned out so well.
Here is the dress I started with:
King of an ugly thing. It was supposed to be for a 70's diva, though, so I assume that hideous is a prerequisite.
Here it is after I cut out the tails and the front. You can almost see its shape coming together.
Now I have the sleeves on. The sleeves turned out really well, especially after I was worried they'd be too short or not fit right. I got the angle correct to sew them to the shoulders, and evidently my measurements were correct when I laid the fabric against my arm. (I have sort of an ad hoc method of measurement and sizing. I've gotten better at it as I've been more constructive, but my first creation, Frankencat, was....well, his name speaks for itself).
And, look! I have the lapels on! Isn't it looking snazzy? It also helps that I figured out that I should probably turn the flash on at this point. Ah, the marvels of photography... *headdesk*
And, look, here it is from the back, almost all finished! Do you see those little buttons on the top of the tails? I'm very proud of those as they look pretty snazzy.
*smirks* I'm quite proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment