Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ridiculous Etiquette and the Sexism Inherent

As a graduation requirement, it is mandated that all seniors take Participation in Government and Economics. Both of these classes are taught by a teacher who is neither wildly intelligent nor possessing of high self-esteem. The only reason she likes me at all is because of my nice handwriting. It's certainly not my cheerful demeanor, as I have yet to be excited to go to that class. (Actually, the beginning of the year was okay because we had class discussions, but now it's all notes and pointless worksheets). Anyway, today in class, we learned that a portion of the Economics class (which the teacher teaches, but we don't have until next semester) is spent taking "etiquette quizzes" which encompass various obscure, outdated social contrivances. The example that so pissed me off was a rule from the era of hoop skirts and corsets that mandated that whenever a lady stood at a table, all the men should stand as well.
1. In what universe does this make sense? It's a weird reaction, and uncomfortable for everyone.
2. Why do the women not stand as well? Why doesn't everyone stand when anyone stands? It's inconsistent, partial, and sexist.
3. WHY, in the name of all that is hellish, is the teacher teaching this as something that is appropriate to do? Ever? Even under the guise of "appropriate etiquette" at business meetings and such? Doing this would weird people out and would, in fact, be a detriment to any kind of relationship.
This is the 21st century, kids. Get with the program.

Anyway, a life update: I applied to Cornell! It took many tears and much despair, but my application is submitted. Finally. ...And now if I think about it and the mangled, BS essays I sent in with it, my stomach churns. I tried so hard to not sound contrived, but somehow I failed completely. ...Maybe I'll post them in a little bit, if I can get over how bad they sound. Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment