Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cephalopods

I have a fond spot in my heart for cephalopods. They're my all-time favorite mollusk. I once did a project on octopuses in elementary school, and learned about jet propulsion and how their shell is internal and manifests itself as a sharp beak for munching on prey.
My favorite cephalopod is a toss-up between cuttlefish and mimic octopuses, but I still appreciate the traditional Pacific octopus. They're so pretty, and squishy, and they all look like they are just great at hugging.
If I could own any cephalopod, though, I would like to own a kraken. Kraken do not actually exist, but I can't help but fantasize about what I would do with an octopus as large as a ship. I don't think he would fit in my pond (besides, all of his cells would explode due to osmosis), but maybe I could get a nice house by the sea, and I could visit him everyday, and I could tell him jokes and watch him catch seagulls and government helicopters with his gigantic tentacles.

Here is a video of an octopus making a break for the ocean, in the spirit of free and independent marine organisms.




Wheee! Swim free, octopus! Swim free!

No comments:

Post a Comment