Sunday, May 13, 2012

Frankendress

As you know, I've been making a dress for the past few months in preparation for prom. I finally finished it last Wednesday, two days before prom itself! That was cutting it close, I am quite aware, but not nearly as close as my other friends who also made unique prom apparel. One friend made a scale mail vest and another a periodic table dress, and both of their projects were only completed the afternoon of prom. So really, I was way ahead.

My dress was modeled after flapper dresses and insanity. The form was a strapped dress with a semi-fitted top and middle, and was tight to the knees where there was about a foot of flaring fabric. There was also a ribbon in the middle, and the overall effect was something of a twenties-type dress. However, I constructed the entire thing out of various patchwork pieces of fabric in a semi-coherent amalgamation of awesome. The end result is a little like me: completely insane but pretty damn gorgeous.


Actually this is an awful picture of me, but I'm not vain. (The correct term is "prideful", thanks.)
I made it using my own pattern that I made by measuring myself. Learning to read a pattern would be annoying and, in my opinion, would be a little like following a recipe. I prefer being my own pastry chef, thanks. Granted, the end result would probably be nicer if I had followed a legitimate pattern, but also, that would negate the fun learning experience which this was. And I am a huge fan of learning.
I don't think they make patterns for a dress like this, either.
Granted, I made some errors along the way, such as not measuring everything perfectly and in fact making it too long and then having to chop off part of the top and sew in darts so it fit properly and also screwing up and causing awkward bunchy spots to be made in the back. That wasn't so successful. The gestalt is decent, though, so I'm willing to let it slide in the name of learning. LEARNING! YAY! (Also I ran out of fabric for the frill on the bottom so one side is frilled and one side isn't but it's okay because you can't see it unless you're looking for it.)
(It's called Frankendress for a reason).

Other things: You may notice in the photo - I am wearing the pointiest pair of shoes known to human. Every single one of my friends thinks they are hideous except me, but that's okay. I like them, and they can pass as either witch shoes or retro heels, so really they're incredibly multifunctional if you're someone who dresses like either a witch or a flapper, which I do. Useful, right?!

I think my next project is going to be a green dress for a friend or maybe a red dress for me...I'll have to confer and see. Stay tuned for more exciting installments of "Madeleine Makes Weird Things And Talks About Them With Too Many Exclamation Points!"

No comments:

Post a Comment