Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Annotated Bibliography of Children's Books: "Never-ending Series"


My end product for our current independent reading project is as follows. 
Basically, the premise of this project was to introduce us to the joys of writing annotated bibliographies! However, as our instructor wanted to keep the project short while still having us read a decent sum of books, we were told to read children's books. 
This project of mine is very strange, but it made the maternal unit laugh so I think I'll share it with all of my dedicated blog followers. 
Haaaaaaah, jokes about how no one reads my blog never gets old. Heheheheh.

Introduction:

A “never-ending series” (yes, I coined the term and it is very creative) is a book series characterized by several criteria. Firstly, it is a series that contains an obscenely large amount of books. Some series, such as Nancy Drew, contain over one hundred books. Others either haven't reached that level, but are on their way. At the very least, these never-ending series tend to have books that number over fifteen discrete volumes.
Many never-ending series are contrivances of publishing companies, conceived for the sole purpose of making capital. Books like Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys are the quintessential examples of this, as they were both written by ghost writers, and the series continued far past the time when it might have been kinder to let them die in peace. (Though it is interesting to note that Nancy Drew never declined in quality over the years. Perhaps they couldn't sink any lower). Other books, such as the Scooby-Doo books or the Magic School Bus chapter books, were made to capitalize on a successful television show or previous set of children's books aimed at a different age demographic. The American Girls books also capitalize, in this instance on the assumed inherent property of young girls to desire large, creepy dolls. Other books of the never-ending series variety started out with a legitimate artistic vision and then seem to have either gotten snatched up by companies for merchandising. Some books merely continued for 40 odd books past where anyone cared about them anymore.
Generally, another characteristic of these books is that they are all discrete volumes. One can typically just pick any book in the series, be it number one or 37, and completely comprehend the plot. They're not unlike sitcoms in this regard, despite that they are numbered serially. However, I was surprised by some of these books. For instance, The Magic Tree House series actually seems to be setting itself up for some over-arching plot. Jack and Annie discover mysterious M's in the tree house that they think may relate to the tree house's owner. I thought that was a nice touch, as it adds a dose of reality to an otherwise sterile bubble. Take Nancy Drew – The Secret of the Old Clock is completely irrelevant to The Ghost of Blackwood Hall. There isn't even any change in Nancy's little world. She never makes new friends, breaks up with Ned, goes off to college, goes to school...nothing.
Interestingly, despite the fact that these books are primarily tripe, children seem to love them. It's very strange. I don't understand it. Then and again, I don't really understand why children do anything, including things I did as a child myself. (I think it might have something to do with the fact that they're kind of stupid). Regardless, publishers seem to have latched onto this money-making opportunity with great zeal, so instead of spewing out interesting, insightful books that won't put parents to sleep as they read them to their children night after night, they can publish little cookie cutter stories that kids lap up like kool-aid.
Fine, fine, I'm speculating a little. I don't have any statistics or hard evidence to support this little hunch of mine. I'm sure they're actually fine books for children that get them interesting in reading. For the love of Pete, though, if I ever have to read another Junie B. Jones book I may have a psychological episode. That little girl is the most obnoxious, hyperactive, unintelligent brat with whom I have ever had the misfortune to come into contact. I hope no children ever think that she is a good role model merely because she's in a book because then we will be plagued with a torrent of little demons in child-skin. We will probably all be driven insane before we can find the source of the problem, sort of like in a zombie apocalypse.  





Annotated Bibliography: “Never-Ending Series”

Betancourt, Jeanne. Western Pony. Illus. Vivien Kubbos. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1999. Print. Pony Pals.

Lulu is concerned that her friends and ponies are leaving her in order to fawn over a cute Western boy. The story is resolved when her friends stop acting like groupies and spend time with her again. Though the plot is unimaginative and unexciting, the writing is actually fairly decent for a book about an alliterative pony club. Part of a series of 44 books.

Dadey, Debby, and Marcia Thornton Jones. Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors. Illus. John Steven Gurney. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1991. Print. The Bailey School Kids 3.

Several misbehaving third graders with a penchant for maliciously leaving food stuffs in irregular places get their just desserts when Mr. Jolly becomes the school janitor. Amidst speculations that Mr. Jolly is Santa Claus, the children are involuntarily imbued with Christmas spirit regardless of their irreligious family preferences. Part of a series of 80, not including supplementary volumes.

Dixon, Franklin W. The Tower Treasure. 1927. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 2003. Print. The Hardy Boys 1.

Adolescent brothers, Frank and Joe, with no special talents or interests, get roped into an exciting mystery when their friend's car is hijacked. They then get to work with their famous detective father and end up solving the mystery by having eyes that see things (obvious things). The book is filled with the most inane dialogue ever contrived. Part of a series of the original 200, but 330 if one counts The Hardy Boy Case Files spin-off series.

Gelsey, James. Scooby-Doo and the Howling Wolfman. New York: Scholastic, Inc., 1999. Print.

Scooby-Doo and the gang visit a traditional Western ranch that is seemingly being terrorized by a legendary wolf-man with a penchant for horse-shoe thievery. Skeptical of such unlikely claims, the gang investigates and finds that the masked marauder is merely the sous-chef with aspirations of beginning a chain restaurant. Part of a multi-book series. Exact number was not available, but as a child I had over 20 of the books, with many more listed on the inside cover. The writing is mediocre and uninspired; basically, the books are just the television series in text form.

Keene, Carolyn. The Ghost of Blackwood Hall. 1948. New York: Grosset and Dunlap, 1995. Print. Nancy Drew Mystery Stories.

Nancy Drew is part of the epic series by Carolyn Keene, or Mildred Wirt Benson. Nancy meets with a woman who has had jewelry stolen under unusual circumstances, and slowly uncovers the workings of an elaborate scheme that swindled vulnerable women out of their money through fraudulent séances. The writing is unexciting and the dialogue is sickening tripe, but the mystery (plot) is well crafted. Part of a series of 175, not counting the 124 books in the spin-off series The Nancy Drew Files.

Kinney, Jeff. Diary of a Wimpy Kid. New York: Amulet Books, 2007. Print. Diary of a Wimpy Kid 1.

Greg Heffley records his embarrassing, sometimes ludicrous adolescent life in an amalgamation of cartoons and text. The writing is humorous, and the novel well put together. Though there are only 5 books currently in the series, more keep spilling out. I include it as a potential candidate for a “never-ending” series in the future. Despite its current popularity and money-making potential, though, it will still have a step above, say, Nancy Drew, in that it wasn't conceived purely to make capital.

Martin, Ann M. The Ghost at Dawn's House. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1988. Print. The Baby-Sitter's Club 9.
Adolescent girls with interests in baby-sitting meet regularly to form the entrepreneurial Baby- Sitter's Club. In this volume, Dawn (a baby-sitter) discovers a secret passageway in her house and believes it is haunted. Eventually it is discovered that the noises emanating from the passageway are actually caused by a discontented child making it his hideout. The writing is fairly sophisticated, switching from first person to third person to journal entries. Interspersed throughout the narrative are helpful baby-sitting hints. Part of a series of 213.

Moore, Eva. The Truth About Bats. Illus. Ted Enik. New York: Scholastic Inc. , 1999. Print. The Magic School Bus 1.

Mrs. Frizzle's class takes a trip to Yosemite in a flying bus to study bats. As with most television-series spin-off books, the story is essentially the television episode in text form, except much less interesting. Although the Magic School Bus was originally produced as a picture book for children, the book I refer to was the first in a series of spin-off chapter books, based heavily on the children's show. Twenty books are specifically in the young reader chapter book series.

Osborne, Mary Pope. The Knight at Dawn. Illus. Sal Murdocca. New York: Random House, 1993. Print. Magic Tree House 2.

Jack and Annie discover a magic, time-traveling tree house. They visit it in the night and spend some time messing around in the middle ages before returning to the present. The premise is a good one, and the writing is fairly in depth (for example, showing character's emotions versus stating them). However, their adventure seems rather ludicrous and poorly thought-out. (Oh, come on, a bunch of knights putting children in the dungeon for no reason? The medieval era was barbarous, but that's just silly.) Part of a series of 48, but one that appears to have a coherent, over-arching plot.

Park, Barbara. Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake. Illus. Denise Brunkus. New York: Random House, 1995. Print. Junie B. Jones 5.

Junie declares herself the winner of everything and proceeds to lose at everything. Visiting the school carnival, she fails to win anything and sulks. Eventually, she wins a cake at a cake walk, but, in her characteristically poor judgment, selects a fruitcake for a prize. She maintains her optimism about life when she discovers that fruitcake doubles as a high chair. The fact that the book is written from the voice of an unintelligent kindergartener is a fairly brilliant literary device, and one that I find to be incredibly annoying. Part of a heavily merchandised series of 29 books.

Roy, Ron. The Absent Author. Illus. John Steven Gurney. New York: Random House, 1997. Print. A to Z Mysteries.

Dink and his friends have to solve the mystery of why the author he invited for a book signing failed to show. It is finally revealed that the creepy woman that asked to follow them around was actually the author, and had contrived the entire mystery. Actually pretty decent for a second-grade mystery, though it was a little disappointing that I had solved the mystery by the third chapter. What did I expect? Part of a series of slightly more than 26 due to spin-off books and additional volumes.

Stine, R. L. Horrorland. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2009. Print. Goosebumps.

Julie discovers an old camera at a yard sale that an old woman warns her not to take. Regardless, she does, and discovers that whenever she takes a photograph of someone, something horrible happens to them. She also discovers that her rival from school is stalking her, which is honestly way creepier than her evil camera but for some reason doesn't seem to bother her as much. The writing nondescript but decent. Part of a series of 62.

Thaler, Mike. The Science Fair from the Black Lagoon. Illus. Jared Lee. New York: Scholastic Inc., 2004. Print.

Hubie lets his imagination run away with him as he tries to design a science fair project. The book is interspersed with pictures in the margins that only tangentially fit into the narrative, and make for a confusing read. This book (and its relatives) are a continuation of the picture book series intended for younger children. This series of ~10 books is intended for 2nd-3rd graders.

Tripp, Valerie. Felicity's Dancing Shoes. Illus. Dan Andreasen. Middleton: Pleasant Company Publications, 2000. Print. The American Girl's Collection.

Felicity, an unassuming, eighteenth century colonial girl, thinks her sister's dancing shoes are magic and allow her to dance better. In reality, her improvement was merely the result of practice, and she learned a valuable lesson in hard work and not assigning arbitrary, supernatural significance to inanimate objects. Many such books are created as auxiliaries to the main story line of the various American girls, all of whom have their own particular doll and accessories. Fun fact: Did you know that they use the same exact face mold for all the girls, and merely change their hair, eye color, and skin tone? I feel like it's some kind of statement on mass culture.

Warner, Gertrude Chandler. Mystery in the Sand. Illus. David Cunningham. 1971. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1991. Print. The Boxcar Children 16.

The band of self-sufficient children and pre-adults hijack a kindly old man's metal detector and unearth a golden locket. They subsequently discover that the locket belongs to a reclusive woman that lives alone with her friend/house keeper in an old house with a ton of cats.
The children reintroduce the recluses to the joys of human company, with debatable success. The writing is decent, but the dialogue is insipid and all of the main characters are completely indistinguishable from each other. It would probably be easier just to refer to the children by number. The books are part of a series of 125.

[For the record, any formatting errors in the above bibliography is the result of copying and pasting into this blog.]



I Read a Children's Book to a Reluctant Child:
A Planning Debacle with a Slightly Disappointing Result


I had a great plan for this. At first, I was uncertain as to where I would find a child to read my book to. I was a little concerned that my sister was reaching the upper limits of childhood, and I have no other relatives of the appropriate age range. Therefore, I had the brilliant idea of reading to one of the bus children. One of the denizens of that little hell is named Cameron. Cameron is the type of bus-child that is trying to grow up faster than he really should, and it makes him look very stupid. He wears gangster-style flat-brimmed ball caps and leather jackets, which, if you picture on a slightly pudgy eleven year old, looks fairly ridiculous. He also constantly smooths his bangs over one eye, a weird habit. Furthermore, he actually seeks me out upon occasion to try to mess with me. It would be hilarious if I wasn't in always the terrible moods brought on by the demon-infested bus.
For example, a month or two ago, the little devil decided to sit down across from me and ask me a series of pointless, mildly intrusive questions about my life while his friend snickered from a seat over. I answered him monosyllabically with increasing incredulity as he interrogated me about trivialities, like my favorite school subject, or why I knit on the bus. Eventually, when it became apparent to me that he was insincere and merely concerned with his own amusement, I ignored him and went back to reading.
More recently (as in last week), I had the following conversation with him that led me to believe that he'd be the perfect victi- I mean, audience for the book reading.
The scene: I was seated, hunched up in the grey plastic seats in the only comfortable position possible for anyone over four feet. I was unobtrusively reading the packet for mock trial, when I see the sudden presence of brown, glossed hair in my peripheral and hear my name.
“Hey, Maddie.”
I look up, as is the instinctive response. There is Cameron, looking at me attentively.
“Hey, Maddie,” he says. “Is there anything I do for you? Like, something I could go and get you?”
I stare at him for a few seconds, eyes narrowed, puzzling out what his statement intends. I haven't spoken to him in several weeks, and mostly avoid eye contact when possible. Eventually, I respond with a simple, confused, “What?”
He looks legitimately helpful, but I wonder if I see the curve of a smile around his lips. His friends are sitting a seat over, and I recall the previous aforementioned incident involving him. I can't help but doubt his intentions, especially considering the apparent absurdity of his question.
“You know,” he says blandly. “Is there anything I can, like, go and get you? Something I can do?”
I stare at him for another few moments, baffled.
“We're on a bus,” I explain curtly.
Cameron shrugs innocently, as if he were only trying to be helpful. “Oh, okay. Well, whatever. I was just wondering.” He turns back to his friends and their conversation, leaving me blinking at him and wondering what just happened.
After a few moments I turned back to my mock trial packet, shaking my head and dismissing it as the insanity of children.

It occurred to me about a week later that his bizarre, nonsensical offer would provide the perfect opening to take him up on his helpful offer, and read a children's book to him. I could even go about it in a degrading way, such as carefully enunciating simple words, and choosing a book such as Pony Pals. I was pretty excited about this, too; what a lovely, passive-aggressive way to confuse an overtly obnoxious child!
Alas. I had set apart two days for the completion of this interview, and, woe, Cameron was not present on the bus on either of those days. I'm mildly distraught, as this was going to be a hilarious interview. Instead, I am forced to resort to my only available option: reading a book to my little sister. I hope that is an adequate substitute for an evil bus denizen. I apologize for any disappointment inspired by this tragic turn of events.
The book I have chosen to read to her is The Hardy Boys: The Tower Treasure. It was the only age-appropriate book (besides Nancy Drew) that I had in my bibliography. I hope you can excuse me for only reading her one chapter of the book, as it is a rather lengthy tale and my sister doesn't particularly like to sit still and/or listen to me.
The following is the transcript of her reaction, as best I could record. For notarization of the verity of the event, I have included both her and my mother's signatures, as well as a drawing of her for identification purposes.


Date: January 10th. Year: 2012.
Time:

Scene: [Emme has just arrived home from basketball practice, and is bustling about the kitchen. She pours popcorn into a bowl as I skip down the stairs.]

Me: Hey, Emme! How are you today?
Emme: Uh, good.
Me: So, Cameron wasn't on the bus today, and thus I couldn't read the book to him. I guess that leaves you!
Emme: Okay. Could you read while I do my homework?
Me: Uh, yeah. No problem.
[We sit down in front of the fire. She does math work while I begin to read Chapter 18: A Startling Deduction (from the Hardy Boys). A few lines in, I get bored and start making Frank's voice really deep and Joe's voice really high and nasally. It kept me from falling into a boredom induced coma.]
[I sustained two interruptions from the narrative.]
Emme: What is 5 divided by three?
Me: Five thirds. [laughs maniacally for a moment]. Get it? Five thirds is just 5 divided by 3... okay. In decimal it's 1.666666666.
[I continue reading].
Emme: [exclaims in response to Joe Hardy's statement of “Boy, this [sandwich] is good!”]
This is a terrible story!
Me: Yes! Yes it is!
[I finish reading the chapter. Emme shakes her head as I announce the end, and then she proceeds to regale me with a tale of perfectly legitimate mathematical notation not recognized by a frustrating teacher.]

Five minutes later:
Me: Hey, Emme. Pop quiz, tell me what happened in the chapter I read you.
Emme: The people, Frank and … John or something...
Me: Joe.
Emme: Uh, the Hardy boys go to the rail roadtracks because they're on a case for their dad or something, and they talk to the railroad instructor – I don't know what he was –
Me: Railroad director, ticket booth person, whatever.
Emme: Okay, I wasn't sure. So, they're talking to the train station director person and he was all like, whoa, you're the famous Hardy boys people, and uh, okay, hold on a sec...okay. So, and they're all like, oh my gosh that guy, Red Jack or something, he must have hid his treasure in the mine...no, wait...
Me: Water tower.
Emme: I was thinking oil tower, but, okay. That was what it was. Anyway, he hid it there 'cause that was the last place people would suspect it.
Me: Good comprehension. You remembered more than I thought you would.
Emme: Heh. I was kind of listening.
Me: Thank you for participating in this interview.
Emme: Heh, okay.



Evidence of Child's Involvement and Legal Accountability Form:


By signing this document I certify that all of the above events are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I also agree that the following illustration of Emmeline Perkins is an accurate representation of her and does not in the least resemble a gremlin. Furthermore, I agree to give Madeleine Q. Perkins full publication license and immunity from legal action regarding the above interview and below illustration. In the event that an occurrence (including but not limited to earthquake, flood, combustion (intentional or spontaneous), lightning strike, trampling, consumption, epidemic (including but not limited to cholera, malaria, diphtheria, or fungal infection), or exposure to extreme winds) destroys this waiver and all evidence of its previous existence, or all people who can register the existence of this paper through the process of comprehending electromagnetic radiation, I will testify that I signed this document and will agree to abide by the statements it contains.



Debra J. Perkins: 1/10/12
(maternal unit)

Emmeline M. Perkins: 1/10/12
(sister)


Here is the drawing of my sister. She is real.




No comments:

Post a Comment