Saturday, August 22, 2009

August


I haven't written in an obscenely long time, and for this I apologize. Again. How many times have I neglected this blog for weeks on end? Actually, don't count that. I don't want to know.
This weekend we got back from Bethany Beach, Delaware. We stayed in the doll-infested beach house that our extended family rents from a friend-of-a-friend. The house, though oddly decorated and a pediophobe's nightmare, is nice because it is familiar, and air-conditioned.
You know, maybe if I start naming the dolls, then my fear will eventually dissipate as the names generate personalities, which make them seem less creepy and souless.
On the other hand, it may just make my semi-phobia worse, because the only names I can think of are weirdly ominous names, like Chuckie, or Lucy, or It.
I bought four books this week, and read them within the week. They are Tithe by Holly Black (really good, though a little weird), Squire by Tamora Pierce, The Den of Shadows Quartet (four books in one) by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. LeGuin. They were all amazing books. I just wish that they had lasted longer. Now I need the sequels desperately, and I have 1 and 1/2 books of summer reading left.
Which reminds me. Shouldn't I be doing that now, before I have to go back to school next week?
Nah.
We drove home on Friday, a nine-hour endeavor. The drive, without any stops is closer to 6 hours, but 6 hours is a long time to sit in the car without bathroom breaks, and besides, it's an obligatory ritual to stop at my Aunt Joanie's apartment in Pennsylvania for a lunch/dinner combination. It's not that I don't like Aunt Joanie -- she's perfectly lovely, and an amazing cook -- it's more the fact that I never see her and know barely anything about her. Thus, few conversation topics. So I tend to leave the conversing to my parents -- or my mom -- and sit in the corner with my sister and try to get in on the neighbor's WiFi. Sadly, this visit, the neighbors wised up and got a security enabled network. So, no WiFi. My internet deprivation must continue a little longer.
Cathy, my cousin, showed us her recently redecorated apartment. She did an amazing job on the painting, and her next project is the retro white cabinets in the kitchen, which kind of counteract her black table and peach-orange walls.
She has an orange cat named Wankster (I truly have no idea how to spell that, but it is how you pronounce it) and her roommate has a dog, Marley, a lhasa apsa. Playing with the insanely cute animals alleiviated the boredom and some of the awkwardness of the rest of the visit to my great-aunt's.
Back to school shopping is a nightmare. My sister whined the entire time, and I couldn't find the correct notebooks. The school section at Target was a picked over, disorganized mess. It got really frustrating. I did, however, get a haircut today, which made my former haircut shorter, and it's now parted on the side. I didn't realize it would do this, but now I look an awful lot like one of my friend's friends, who also has short brown hair and glasses. It's kind of funny.
Oh, and our sunflowers are now 12 feet tall and blooming outside of our dining room. They are magnificent. The one in the photo is a considerably shorter one on our back porch, growing in a pot full of petunias. I love sunflowers in August. And any other time, really.

Has anyone looked at my random profile question recently? I find it quite funny.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating ... always look forwards to it. Why not copy Mom and Minie and Dickie on it too? They're really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and how do I get to your profile question? I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps, perhaps, my dear David. Click on "view my complete profile"...it should be on there. It's the one that says, "That can't be a fish you're standing on, can it?"

    ReplyDelete