Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Je l'ai fais pour le fromage!"

We don't do a lot in French class, but every so often, something beautiful comes out of it. Last year, it was my notebook nearly completely filled with elaborate and exceedingly bizarre doodles. The year before that...well, it was also a notebook full of doodles. Shush, I get bored.
Anyway, this year has surpassed all. In addition to my notebook filled with elaborate doodles, I managed to convince our teacher and our class to create our own silent film, in the time-honored tradition of the French!
Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking; more than one person has mentioned this to me. "A silent film? But aren't you in French class? Shouldn't you be speaking, you know, French?" Well, shush, I say to you. It was fun, our title slides are en francais, we're celebrating the history of film, and, perhaps most importantly, none of us can actually speak French all that fluently. Really, the silence of our film is for the best.

The title of our film is "Je l'ai fais pour le fromage!", or, "I did it for the cheese!"
Yes, it actually makes sense. Watch it. If you don't speak French, I have a plot summary for you after the video.
I'll warn you in advance; we are not very good at filming. Just bear with us and laugh at our over-dramatic facial expressions.




So, let me take a guess. Your head is spinning a little bit with confusion and awe. It's a little like getting off a  carnival ride. Don't get up - you might stumble into things and hurt yourself. Stay right there and let me explain what just happened.
I'm the girl in the poofy dress, tights, and hat. Grace is the girl with the top hat and striped sweater. Dustin is the whistling guy, and he also has a hat. The train is two random people from study hall, more on that later. Here's a scene by scene summary:
The first scene begins with me giving Dustin flowers. Dustin says, oh boy, flowers!
Grace gives Dustin cheese. Dustin says, no, I don't want your cheese. It smells. (It actually did. It had been sitting in my locker all day and smelled like ... distilled evil).
I magically disappear, because I'm like a genie.
Grace is angry that Dustin does not like her cheese, so she ties him up and carts him off. She then places him in front of a train, because placing people in front of trains is a required part of any 20's style silent film. Have you ever seen a silent film without a train scene? I didn't think so.
I rush in and ask, what are you doing? 
Gracie explains what she is doing. She is tying up Dustin because he does not appreciate cheese.
I express confusion as to why Dustin does not like cheese, because cheese is delicious.
Grace asks if I like cheese.
I exclaim that I love cheese!
Grace and I skip off arm in arm, leaving Dustin to get run over by a cardboard train and some cheerful study hall people. (We had to recruit kids from study hall, as the fourth member of our class (who played the train) was absent that day.) 
Grace and I pretend to eat cheese, but not actually because it is evil, and discuss Roquefort. Dustin enters. Somehow he has miraculously escaped from being hit by a train. Just ignore the plot discrepancy. Maybe he's a ghost. Maybe he's Houdini. Whatever.
He attempts to tie us up, fails, gives up, and then retrieves a train. Grace and I huddle in fear and say "Oh la la". It is suggested that Grace and I were hit by the train, although it was just hanging there. Shush. The study hall kids had to leave to do their homework or eat muffins or do whatever study hall kids do. Instead, we had to substitute the microphone stand. ...It was a low budget film. Don't judge.
Dustin winks at the camera and takes a bite of cheese (not really, because it was evil cheese). 
The End!
Oh, and a special thanks to Grace, for editing all of it like a master, to Dustin, for having a great face, to random study hall kids for being a very cheerful (bemused?) train, and to Scott Joplin, who wrote the "Peacherine Rag".

One thing is for certain - We have certainly attained the level of bizarrity mandated by French film. Then and again, with a film directed by me, what did you expect?

2 comments:

  1. Is "fromage-tastic" a word? I seem to remember it from French 4. I'm sure it must be. Ta film est fromage-tastic, je dis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Film" est masculine. Et, oui, fromage-tastic est un mot. Non, vraiment. Ah ha ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete