Saturday, December 31, 2011

Time Limits

I don't like time limits. They're an unfortunate presence in otherwise fun and enjoyable games. I'd much prefer to play the game and stop at my own rate, when I'm ready, and not when an arbitrary buzzer tells me to. With a time limit, you're always rushing about, trying to get everything accomplished.There's no time to smell the roses, look around, go on mini quests. Time even seems to speed up towards the end, so the last seconds fly by as you try to accomplish everything you wanted to in that little span.

This is why I'm not happy about another year ending. It's another step towards an inexorably approaching time limit. I did pretty well at accomplishing things, granted. I got a lot of important things done. I learned to crochet and knit, I defeated Twilight Princess, I wrote some good stuff, I explored a culvert, I got into Cornell, I played the bongos in English class, I figured stuff out about people and why they're so weird, I learned a ton about philosophy, science, debate, and much else, and I got a lot better at sucking every moment dry of happiness and goodness. I like to think that I made the world a little bit of a better place.

But... think of what I could have done if I'd had a little more time...

No comments:

Post a Comment