Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Senior Spotlight

At our school, it's traditional to give two seniors per month a little blurb in the school paper. The seniors fill out a little survey about them and their interests and it's printed in the paper. It was my impression that they usually try to grant all of the top ten a Senior Spotlight, as the article is cheesily and alliteratively named, but for some reason they skipped over me, the third in the class. I'm not sure why. It was probably a clerical error or simple oversight. Maybe since I'm not the valedictorian or salutatorian, I don't matter or something. (Hahaha).
 It's also possible that they realized that my senior spotlight would be something weird and satirical, sort of like the following. Actually, come to think of it, that's probably why.

Anyway, since I was gypped on a senior spotlight, here's mine now.

Madeleine

What are three adjectives that describe you?
Intelligent - People use the word "intelligent" to mean a lot of different things. I AM ALL OF THEM.
Dedicated - No matter what I set my mind to, I always commit to give it at least a halfhearted attempt!
Competitive - I once punched a baby in the face to get the last free lollipop.

Tell us about your family.
Mom is an Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving. She moonlights as a world class flautist.
Dad is a Senior Marketing Director. He moonlights as a carpenter and pizza chef.
My sister plays a lot of sports and has yet to get a serious brain injury.
There are also two cats that are smarter than some other cats but are really kind of stupid most of the time. Sometimes the black and white one coughs up hairballs on my pillows at 5 AM.

What is your proudest moment in high school so far?
It's a toss up between getting into Cornell University, and realizing that there was nothing stopping me from cutting up old t-shirts and making an ugly cat from them but my own inhibitions.

What do you hope to achieve by the time you are 30 years old?
I would like to have worked in a science field, made a stunning ball gown, published a major piece of writing, constructed a wind chime from silverware, made someone seriously question why they act so normally, and own a cat named Irwin and/or Scruples and/or Nietzsche. I would also like to not be homeless.

What is your ideal vacation destination and why?
Middle Earth. Tolkein always made it sound so scenic.

Who is your hero and why?
Tim Minchin. He writes incredibly witty, intelligent songs about social issues, philosophy and other things with catchy piano accompaniment. He also cusses copiously, blasphemes freely, and makes controversial jokes that are in no way indicative of intellectual paucity.

If you could invite 2-3 people to dinner, who would you invite?
The Poe Toaster - The enigmatic Poe enthusiastic would be an absolutely fascinating person to meet. He could keep his hat on, if he liked, and I wouldn't invite any photographers.
Neil Gaiman and/or Amanda Palmer - Neil Gaiman writes the best books ever. Amanda Palmer writes the best songs ever. Ergo, they are pretty much the most epic spouses ever. Also, since they're married, I totally get to include them as one person even though they're wildly different people.
Leonardo da Vinci - I don't actually find him that fascinating, nor do I speak 15th century Italian, but I think it would be really cool to show him helicopters. I really think he'd get a kick out of that.

2 comments:

  1. Do you really wonder why they didn't give you one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I sort of reached that conclusion. Still would have been nice to have been asked.

    ReplyDelete