Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I was told the stars were only buttons.

I wrote this little snippet last year around this time, and for some reason I find it very pretty despite its archaic mythology and out-of-contextual state. I'll use it in a story at some point, I'm sure, but at the moment, it's just a pretty little thing I have lying around.
_________________________________________________________________________________




  “When I was younger, my father used to tell me that stars were the eyes of the ones we loved, looking down on us from heaven,” she said, resting her forearms on her knees and leaning forward. Her yellow hair twined about her face in a lovely fashion, reflecting moonlight.
“I was told the stars were only buttons,” the pale girl said. Head tilted upwards, she watched the stars with a certain curious intensity.
“Those must be some very shiny buttons, then.”
“Well, they're God's. They have got to be shiny,” she said solemnly.
“Of course,” Devon said, playing along. “God wouldn't walk around with dull buttons. Very ungodlike. No one would take him seriously.”
The pale girl turned to look at her suspiciously. Devon's face was the picture of innocence as she looked up at the stars.
“Funny things they tell us when we are children,” the girl said.

No comments:

Post a Comment