Wednesday, February 20, 2013

People I Know/The General's Ditty: Part II

I wrote a piano part to this a while back but never got around to recording it. All of my songs seem to have a heavy use of broken chords in the left hand. It's not exactly fancy or full of complicated musical techniques...but it might be pretty, and I'm not completely sure I care if the thing is a musical masterpiece or what.

I also added a verse. I don't know if I'll keep it. I like it. It fits a little more with the theme of Benjamin, which is a bit about living in stories to avoid the real world. Both "Benjamin" and "People I Know" are songs I come back to to fit an emotional state. They're songs about feelings, as opposed to songs about things.
Then and again, songs really are meant to express an emotion rather than tell a story. I mean, they don't preclude telling a story, but I'd assert that music is really the best way we have to convey pure emotion. So, I suppose the thing about "Benjamin" and "People I Know" is not that they're songs about the way it feels in your head, but that they're songs about the way it feels to be in my head.
Other songs, like "Paper Trees" are meant to convey an emotion, but it's not one that's around nearly as much.
"Maybe" (which I'll have to show you sometime) is just fun to play. And "Delusions of Grandeur" really has more of a message, that of triumph in the face of existential despair, and celebrating humanity even though it's ultimately inconsequential. (Still working on the piano part  for that one. I have little practice with the blues.)
"People I Know" is a bit about longing and being trapped out of place, and finding resignation. But it's a feeling, not a moral.

I'm not sure where I was going with that discussion. Just that if you ever want to know what it's like inside my head on good days, listen to "Benjamin", and if you want to know what it feels like on the days when I'm celebrating melancholy, listen to "People I Know".

Anyway, enough talking. Here you go, pretty music!



The new verse reads:

And I know that someday
When I'm feeling okay
I'll say that I'm sorry
For hiding in stories
And running away
'Cause I missed you
And I wished that I'd kissed you
When I could still stay

3 comments: